Jun 14, 2010

I am Legend ... Almost

What’s good family? 

I pray you’re all well.  And I’m glad you’re back for another visit into my smoke filled thoughts. 
I’ve edited about half of the book on hard copy so far and like what I’m working with.  It wasn’t like that at first.  After we printed the first draft, it (the manuscript) simply sat on the glass table in my bedroom for maybe three days.  I’m sure you all have the same type of table in your room … the-everything-table.  Mine holds old ticket stubs, prints outs from work, coupon clippings and of course clothes.  I couldn’t bring myself to read it.  I wanted to enjoy the moment because once I started the edit process the paper would bleed.

But now I see a clear path and know exactly what is needed for the project to polish. In my last post I sounded a bit desperate for the attention of a lovely agent.  Now, I still want some attention but I’m ready to take it slow.  Maybe some sample chapters as a first date to see if we like each other.  Before a more serious move like an introduction to family members, the truth is I need a bit more time to shape this book.  So the twenty or so query letters that are in the cyber universe will have to suffice.

Actually DSC wasn’t the first vehicle I started with.  My first idea was named the God of Grace and pulled from my time in seminary.  But then I realized no one wanted to read that shit, I mean I didn’t even finish Seminary.  I dropped out four classes short of my Masters but that wasn’t the right path for me.  To be a little more transparent I was a youth pastor at one point in a prior life … I’ll give you some time for that to settle in.  As a PK (Pastor’s kid/Preacher’s kid/aka Ministry kid) I figured I could run for only so long before I had to give into the family business.  When I received my credentials I became the sixth or seventh generation in my family to throw on the minister’s collar.  It’s a good thing that idea went away though because I would’ve had creditability issues on that one.  I probably would’ve quoted Marcus 4:20 too many times …
The next idea was a graphic novel, which is still on the idea board with three chapters written.  But Science fiction wouldn’t have been a good first book for me, mainly because a fictionalized version of my life is way easier to write.  And with that The Divine Sinner Chronicles was born. If you’ve spent time talking with me you know I preach the message telling your story and chasing your dreams.  This book is the collaboration of both. 

Any good strip tease pulls a little back so here is where I put some clothes back on …

I will be away on Jus’ fifth grade camping trip until Tuesday so I hope to post again after I survive being the male chaperone.  I will however be throwing up some pics and stuff via Twitter (http://twitter.com/MarcusSmalls) please follow … as long as my celly isn’t cut before I get back and pay my bill.  The life of a broke writer on his way to a wealthy Author …  
Tonight’s a daily double.  I was listing to Ready to Die while editing tonight and Big Poppa is simply one of the tightest songs ever.  You can actually pick any BIG verse and dissect it for dopeness but we’ll do with this one tonight because I love the video. And the other is my dudes Black Moon with How Many MC's.



It’s the Smalls baby/who you think it’s suppose to be … 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read. Please feel free to comment

blessings,

M