Jun 29, 2010

check the rhime ...

What’s good Family?

I’m knee deep in the zone over here in my world.

Editing a book is much like mastering an album. Not that I’ve personally mastered an album but I used to be an emcee in another one of my former lives and was very much a studio rat so I’ve engineered through osmosis. Much like the engineer or producer allows the track time to expresse itself my eyes scan for rhythm in word.

I have this hip hop/friendship theory and Boo (Boo I wrote a book and you’re in it!) was the confirmation of that theory. In short if we agree certain albums are fundamental we'll naturally link up by the Jedi-b-boy-force. The Low End Theory dropped at an important period in my slacker life, still early in my smoke career when the whole idea had the new car smell. Back when Verses from the Abstract rattled my whip and I hadn’t yet recognized the sharp curve road signs along the path. When Boo and I chopped it up in the day room up in the mountains of Pennsylvania almost twenty years ago our mutual admiration for A Tribe Called Quest started the conversation. ATCQ is such an important group, pure Hip Hop strong enough to provide a conversion point in two versions of twenty-something reality.

Back then I was too immature to recognize the tone of my inner voice, which was compounded by a reluctant focus towards my own potential energy. I just hadn’t figured out how to be me yet. The book (DSC) is like the music of my human relationships harmonized through memory, my libation for those who travel with me in spirit.

Peace & Blessings,

M

“You on point, Tip?”
“All the time, Phife.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read. Please feel free to comment

blessings,

M